This is a very recent concoction of mine – I served it to my husband and his friends last Sunday after they had come back from watching the football. I had wanted to impress his friends, and him, by appearing as a sexy domestic goddess on his return. What better way to do it than with homemade humous? Very bohemian. I felt like a thin Nigella in the kitchen, and narrated my actions a I squeezed out the lemon and blended it all together. I poured myself a vodka tonic to make sure I wasn’t too sober compared to the lads when they got in – I always like to think that I can be one of the lads – and on a whim, put a little slosh into the hummous. It tasted amazing. Afterwards I gave them an enormous tray of Cuba Libre Pork Ribs. I ate the leftovers with Doritos and the Loose Women ladies on Monday morning whilst the children were at yoga . The lemon and coriander had to be added to compliment the very overpowering vodka flavour. I don’t think they noticed it. This is a toxic but delicious take on the traditional humous recipe.
Ingredients (serves 1-4):
- 1 can of cooked chick peas
- 2 25ml shot glasses of Tahini or peanut butter
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 pint glass of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 100ml olive oil
- 50ml shot of good quality citron vodka, because you can taste it
- salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Wash the chickpeas, add them to a large bowl, and blend with the olive oil and lemon juice. This is your hummous base. Normal hummous recipes from here just involve tahini, garlic and salt and pepper.
2. Add the lemon zest, coriander leaves, tahini, garlic cloves and salt and pepper, and blend for your basic lemon and coriander hummous recipe.
3. This is the exciting part: add your vodka and blend until the mixture looks creamy, and smells like an edible cocktail.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with fresh coriander leaves and a drizzle of olive oil on top. Eat it with pitta bread, or dip healthy things in, or use a spoon. I like to serve mine with mediterranean tapas and vodka shots.